Let's all admit there is nothing better than staying at a hotel with a giant comfortable bed, room service, concierge staff that will make your reservations and when your shoes are in two different places the helpful housekeeping staff will always arrange them perfectly for you. And the plus side is most hotel rooms are likely bigger than my NYC apartment. A good hotel stay, based on how much you want to pay, is not just a stay but an experience. You realize all the hours of work, sleeplessness and planning gave way for you to have this luxury. For the purposes of this list I have narrowed it down to five. I have stayed in many gorgeous modern hotels (The Cosmopolitan in Las Vegas) to converted convents (Hotel Cenacolo, Asissi Italy) and it is challenging to select just a few. However, this list is pretty sweet. Read on.
1. Hotel Nelligan. Montreal, Canada. My love for Montreal increases each time I stay at this charming hotel on Rue St. Paul. The staff is wonderful. The rooms are spacious and the exposed brick is cozy. The attached restaurant makes it easy to eat during crazy winters. And they have a charming fireplace where I can cuddle up with a book or my laptop on the couch. Winning in every way.
2. Casa de Uco. Mendoza, Argentina. This surreal hotel is in the middle of the beautiful wine region of Mendoza, Argentina. Luscious vineyards for days amongst the purple capped Andes Mountains…delicious asado (barbecue) and rooms that are pure modern comfort. The hotel itself is built sustainably and has its own wine. And do not miss the sunrise. Or the sunset. See the view from one of the lounge areas in picture 1.
3. SuryaGarh. Jaisalmer, India. If you dream of kings and queens then this is your place. Suryagarh is a serene oasis in the desert. The rooms take you back to the time of the maharajahs where royal kings ruled the land. The service is impeccable as are the meals. The entire hotel is a sight to behold. A hotel of dreams. See the beautiful courtyard with a live flute player in picture 2.
4. Hotel Imperial. Vienna, Austria. This is an old palace turned into a hotel. The rooms certainly were “palatial” style with long silk window drapes, beautiful art and old-style keys. The cafe next door where we had breakfast had the “imperial tort” which is a delicious treat anytime of the day. The beds were probably the most comfortable ever. A pleasant stay at a beautiful location in Europe. See our sweet goodnight greeting and torte in picture 3.
5. Lake Manyara Serena Safari Lodge. Northern Tanzania. The Serena group of hotels offer a variety of authentic and unique places in a handful of African nations and Asia. They really play on the nature of the land to create beautiful lodges. Africa in itself is a dream but to experience it within a lodge is another bonus. The hotel is a central location to embark on safari drives twice a day and relax with a wonderful meal in the evening combined with entertainment like tribal dance. They will do whatever they can to make your stay super comfortable including wishing you good morning with fresh passion fruit juice before your safari.